Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Big News that I Never Got to Tell

"We're moving to Hot Springs, Arkansas!!" was supposed to be the title of the post, followed by many other posts of house hunting stories and exploring our new (temporary) town. I got a little too excited, a little too quickly, daydreaming about spas and weekend hiking excursions. And I know that in the end, this was God's plan for us all along. Because we trust in His plan for our lives and know that He has it all figured out.

 I'll try my best to explain so hang with me.

Andrew works for a family electric contracting company that does projects all around, mostly near, but some far too. And when they get big jobs in towns further than a couple of hours or so away, someone has to go manage them. Currently, Andrew is the best choice, because we aren't "settled down" so to speak with a house payment, kids, etc. Andrew's company made the lowest bid for a big job in Hot Springs and were working out the details to finalize the whatever thing it is that has to be finalized for them to start the process (shows you how much I know about the electrical contracting world). It would be a temporary (8 months - 1 year) move and  I instantly knew that I wanted to go with him. We talked over our options and since I am currently working full time, we decided that I would look for a part time/PRN job here so that I could work maybe two days and then go be with him for the rest of the week. Since my job as an Occupational Therapist (OT) requires a license to practice in each state, and since it was to be a temporary move, I decided this was a better option than applying for state licensure in another state.

And when some of the details of the Hot Springs job fell into place, I put in my month's notice at the company where I currently work. And started looking for a new part-time job.

 One thing about the therapy world that I love is that it is so broad and there are so many areas and places you can work, in tons of different settings. And some therapists are better suited for some settings than others. And I have found that it is okay if you don't excel in every area. In my opinion, it is better to be fabulous is one area than to be average in every area. I say all that to say that I have been working in a clinic where I am the only OT and treating a little bit in every area. And I'll admit, I have been struggling. I have felt average in every way. There have been days and mornings that I have fully and heavily relied on the Lord just to get me out of bed and get ready to walk through those clinic doors. And I sought out help from several sources and I prayed for direction. I knew God was teaching me something through the experience and was prepared to stay should this be the place where God would have me. So when God started opening doors, I simply chose to walk through them.

Soon after I turned in my notice, the job in Hot Springs, Arkansas fell through. And I questioned every decision we had made. And struggled to understand why everything was happening the way it was. But then I remembered that God was still in control (how silly of me to forget), and that His timing is always perfect.

And then I found another job. With a focus in a setting where I feel I can truly excel and grow. And I hear the whispers of a Savior's promises. And I know that he has all the details worked out. And He works in ways that I cannot understand and oh - how wonderful that is! Because what need would I have for a Savior if I could understand everything He does?

So today I am thankful for broken contracts and unfulfilled promises that pave the way to doors of hope.

And I am thankful for a Savior who continually provides me with opportunities to trust in His plan.

So no, I won't be making the big announcement that we are moving. And who knows? God may call us somewhere else for a time. But for now, I am confident that we are just where God wants us to be.

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song."  Psalm 28:7

0 comments:

Post a Comment